Please remember to update rawhide

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 15:16:46 UTC 2010

Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> writes:
>>> When you do an update in F-14 and rely on inheritance to get the package
>>> into rawhide, there is a problem.  That package will not go to rawhide
>>> until it hits stable in F-14.
>>
>> ... um ... and why exactly is that the policy?

> I figure one reason is because sometimes updates-testing candidates get
> pulled (and we don't want rawhide to go backwards).

No, rawhide shouldn't go backwards.  What I suggested was that rawhide
should be the latest successful build, just as it would be if you *had*
built for rawhide.  Whether it's in updates-testing, updates, or nowhere
shouldn't matter.

If this isn't practical, then people will always have to build rawhide
separately (and we really need the nagbot mentioned elsewhere in this
thread).  But when there is no real need for a separate build, that's
just making extra work for the packager and for the buildfarm.

			regards, tom lane