systemd and changes

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 15:46:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 10:54 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> said:
> > NM can use old style /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*.  Can't
> > you just write those out from your %post section?  Or, if you want all
> > the NM features like WPA wireless config, you can use the keyfile
> > plugin to write NM ini-style key-value files.  Either way, those are
> > text files that are easily handled from shell scripts.
>
> This is rather under-documented I discovered last night.  There is a
> document that describes the keyfile plugin config, but it doesn't appear
> to be on the NM website, and it isn't included in any Fedora RPM as far
> as I found.  I opened BZ 627782 about this; the spec file takes steps to
> keep the timestamps on docs (for multilib), but then only includes a
> single file (the library API) in an RPM.
>
> The ifcfg-rh plugin doesn't appear to have any documentation at all
> (from what I understand, it doesn't support all the same things in
> network-scripts that ifup/etc. do, and it adds some things of its own
> for WPA and the like).

The ifcfg-rh plugin attempts to interpret ifcfg files just like
ifup/ifdown do.  These limitations and extensions should be documented
better.  But in the end, you want better documentation for the ifcfg
file format as defined by Red Hat/Fedora (SUSE's is slightly different).
Most of that has been documented since the beginning of time in places
like:

ifup-ipv6
ifup-wireless
man ifup
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

But of course some of that is out of date, and NM implements WPA and
802.1x support that the system initscripts don't.  Better documentation
all around?

Dan