Linux and application installing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 12:15:24 UTC 2010

On 7 September 2010 12:57, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thoughts on making the software center less distro specific?  Couldn't
> the UI be grafted on top of the PK api?

app-install is completely distro-neutral. GNOME PackageKit and
KPackageKit get the same kind of data from app-install for each
distro. The reason we're not just modifying the Ubuntu Software center
is just because it's so tied into the Ubuntu infrastructure.

So far there is a generator for Ubuntu and Fedora. It's pretty trivial
to add more. The app-install README file has answers to other common
questions.

Thanks,

Richard.