Linux and application installing

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 7 13:39:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 14:17 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 14:11, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > okay - I'll bite - why do we want to make it less distro-specific?
>
> For the same reason as pirut and pup were replaced. Fedora is *not* a
> big enough ecosystem to drive fully localized and feature rich user
> experiences. Working with other distros mean we can work as one big
> team and share the burden of translation, bug-fixes and writing new
> common code. I certainly don't want to write software for Fedora, but
> rather write software for Linux, and then write the small amount of
> Fedora interface code.

Except we don't seem to do that. Over half of all commits to PK are from
you. The next closest committer has 6% of commits. If I exclude the
backends and translations then PK is written almost exclusively by you.

So all the time you spent writing a compat layer of code for OTHER
distros gets fedora what?

-sv