Linux and application installing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:42:54 UTC 2010

On 7 September 2010 15:23, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  Are you having any discussions about applications like postfix, or is
> version 2 going to be just GUI stuff?

Postfix is not an application. Applications have translated desktop
files and icons.

>  I assume you have a plan for making this repodata, but I couldn't find
> it, is there a URL?

This isn't repodata, it's a separate data package. You /could/ push
the icons.tar.gz and desktop sqlite database as repodata, although
it's not going to change for the duration of each release[1] so seems
like a waste of resources. From an rpm point of view, it's easier to
deal with the install and removal of data as rpm scriptlets
system-wide than by pushing this into yum itself (and other distros
could not use this code). We also want this data installed by default,
and not fetched / updated when the user tries to install something for
the first time. That would ruin the user experience.

Richard.

[1] The data only needs to be refreshed if popular packages get split,
or many translations get added.