Linux and application installing

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 7 15:39:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 15:42 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 7 September 2010 15:23, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >  Are you having any discussions about applications like postfix, or is
> > version 2 going to be just GUI stuff?
>
> Postfix is not an application. Applications have translated desktop
> files and icons.

 This is your definition of "application", and IMNSHO not a good one.

 You are proposing infrastructure changes so that when a user says they
want to install "spreadsheet" then we can go from presenting the user
with "13" answers (current "yum search" result) to presenting them with
"4" (maybe "5"). This is great, and will be a big help, as I think we
can all agree that it's much less likely the user will want
"perl-Spreadsheet-ParseExcel" etc.
 However this is very much the same problem as a user trying to find
"sql server" and getting results like "voms-mysql-plugin" etc. If you
intentionally ignore this problem, it just means even more work in the
long term as we have to change the metadata and any/all tools to cope.

 You might well argue that gnome-PK's target users shouldn't see
"postgresql-server" in any results (or anything without a desktop file).
And that's _fine_, I'm not trying to tell you how to write gnome-PK.
 I'm just trying to make sure we don't have to do major revisions to any
application metadata we produce (or worse, multiple different bits of
metadata).

> >  I assume you have a plan for making this repodata, but I couldn't find
> > it, is there a URL?
>
> This isn't repodata, it's a separate data package.

 You've already proposed BZ 488968, it's already been commented on. I
can't believe you are just saying "I don't care what anyone else thinks,
I'm going to do what I feel like" ... so maybe I'm parsing your response
incorrectly.