Linux and application installing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:54:16 UTC 2010

On 7 September 2010 16:39, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  However this is very much the same problem as a user trying to find
> "sql server" and getting results like "voms-mysql-plugin" etc. If you
> intentionally ignore this problem, it just means even more work in the
> long term as we have to change the metadata and any/all tools to cope.

"Users" don't install SQL servers[1]. Admins and power users install
SQL servers, and they'll be competent enough to either use the package
add/remove programs application or just drop to the command line and
use yum.

Richard.

[1] My definition of users are 3 actual people:
http://packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html