Linux and application installing

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 7 16:23:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 11:48 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Postfix is not an application. Applications have translated desktop
> >> files and icons.
> >
> >  This is your definition of "application", and IMNSHO not a good one.
>
> This is goes along with the only definition of application that I am
> aware of. Postifx is a system service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software

        Application software, also known as an application, is computer
        software designed to help the user to perform singular or
        multiple related specific tasks.

...which matches exctly, IMO. But if it's confusing I don't mind
referring to this as "<otherword> installing", if you have a less
confusing word … I'd just rather not say desktop-application+services
+dbus-services+cron-services+etc. installing each time.