git usage question

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 8 00:29:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 19:24:58 -0400,
  Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to make a minor edit to one of the sources of a package.  I want the
> sources on my machine in a state so that emacs will recognize the files are
> under git control and act accordingly, so I can do my edits and use emacs
> vc-mode stuff to commit, diff, etc.  I tried using fedpkg clone + fedpkg
> sources.  That just gets me the .tar.gz + patches.  I tried fedpkg prep.
> That doesn't seem to work because it unpacks the source under a
> subdirectory.  Any hints?

This sounds like you are trying to use the wrong git repo. The repo for a
package will have a pointer to the compressed tar ball. You won't have
easy access to the sources in that tar ball. You add patch files and edit
the spec file at this level.

If you were working with the upstream for the package (such as one of
the projects on fedorahosted), then you could use that repo to deal directly
with source.