newer NVRs in older releases.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:41:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:20:31 -0400, Tom wrote:

> Toshio Kuratomi writes:
> > On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 11:56:23AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> >> Could the buildsystem be changed to prevent newer NVRs from being
> >> built if an older one exists in a newer buildroot ? Should it ? Is
> >> there a valid reason for ever allowing this to happen?
>
> > The buildsystem should be allowed to build it but we want to get to the
> > place where it doesn't get pushed to the (some) repositories.  I believe
> > that bodhi and autoqa are supposed to share this task at some point in the
> > future but I don't know just how far off that future day is atm.
>
> There was some discussion last week about teaching the broken-dependencies
> nagbot to also nag about NVR sequence discrepancies.  Is that feasible
> or a reasonable response?  Or is that subsumed under your mention of
> autoqa?

The "broken-dependencies nagbot" for Rawhide and development/14 is run
within "mash" when composing a single repo independently of any
older/newer repo. For example, when composing Rawhide, it doesn't know
about the package NEVRs included in any older dist. It couldn't be tought
to examine upgrade path issues without a complete redesign. Though, after
composing the repo, the separate upgrade path checker (the one that
queries koji) could be run, although it would send separate mails to the
packagers. On the other hand, running that one weekly or bi-weekly would
also do the job.