Linux and application installing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:43:56 UTC 2010

On 8 September 2010 13:16, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> First off, I think this is a great idea and very much needed, thanks for
> working on it.

Cool, thanks. Some positive feedback at last! Too... much... stop... energy...

> On the cross-distro front, is Canonical / Ubuntu officially involved in
> this and expecting to move to it in future, or are you just working
> 'unofficially' with some Ubuntu community people and if anything it'll
> wind up being an unofficial alternative for Ubuntu users?

I'm working semi-officially with Sebastian Heinlein from Ubuntu and
Roderick Greening from Suse. Sebastian is the one driving through the
new changes in the Ubuntu Software Center, and works heavily with
PackageKit and apt. You could say he's the right person to be working
with.

Of course, all the time app-install is too feature poor for them,
they'll not switch from the xapian index (and this is the case with
the deliberately simple v1 schema). Version 2 schema, which we're
working on defining now, and is 90% complete provides enough
functionality to switch away from xapian.

But of course, Fedora is an early adopter and driving development.
Just like normal. Just like it should be.

Richard.