Linux and application installing

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 9 11:42:30 UTC 2010

Le Jeu 9 septembre 2010 12:03, Richard Hughes a écrit :

> On 9 September 2010 09:52, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
> wrote:
>> It needs works both packagekit-side and font packaging side, but there is
>> absolutely no way I'm going to expand energy on pushing the packaging
>> changes
>> through FPC & other font packagers if there is no buy-in packagekit-side to
>> make use of them. Unlike application desktop files, font preview has a
>> single
>> consumer, packagekit, so it's totally wasted work if the packagekit side is
>> missing.
>
> I'm interested in font installing, but I think it might be better to
> integrate this with app-install rather than packagekit, as app-install
> has a pointer to a screenshot URL we can show in the preview window.

Sure, I was using "packagekit" as a generic term for "desktop application that
implements the gui foo stores".

> This just means we have to treat fonts either as applications (and
> thus need desktop files) or we can just maintain a separate datastore
> and merge this with the fedora-app-install data before the package is
> shipped.
>
> The latter is probably my preferred solution.

I agree, I don't think fonts map really well to .desktop files (though that
means the font descriptions will depend on the package summaries &
descriptions to be translated, but most users will primarily care about the
preview and not the text)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot