Linux and application installing

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Thu Sep 9 13:32:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 15:05 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 9 septembre 2010 14:29, Alex Hudson a écrit :
> > .TTF fonts (as an example) just aren't very big. I tried a sample font
> > in my .fonts directory, it's 75K and five lines of varied "The quick
> > brown fox.." in PNG format comes out at 25K. If I gzip the ttf, it's
> > 28K, and the png goes to 22K. So the data size is actually pretty close.
>
> The google type library is not representative as they do not propose full
> fonts but fonts cut down to the few hundreds of glyphs necessary for latin.
> The smallest the font the closest the size will be to a preview file.

I wasn't using the Google Type library for that comparison - I was using
a system font (although one of the fonts I tested (Inconsolata) is
available in Fedora as well as on Google). So this argument doesn't
apply.

The point stands, anyway: the preview is a cut-down set of glyphs as
well. A cut-down font *is* a preview file. Doing the preview
in .PNG, .PDF, or some other format is not going to be more efficient
than the .TTF format, unless you have some other data to offer.

> > So, I disagree it's "as resource intensive" as the RPM method. It's
> > fundamentally much faster than installing the font locally. Seriously,
> > just try it. It's not even in the same league.
>
> It's more resource-intensive server-side and the whole speed depends on your
> network pipe.

How can this possibly be true? Both servers are offering files to
download; one is offering JS + TTF the other is offering RPM. As I've
shown, the data is essentially the same size. The server-side work is
the same.

What system are you proposing that would allow fonts to be previewed
with significantly less data being transferred? I dispute any system
based on PNG files saves measurable space for the reasons and
experiments set out in this email and the last; it's easy to test. What
other data format should I test?

Thanks

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com