article on security of various linux

yersinia yersinia.spiros at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:22:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This article:
>
> http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/security_mechanisms_in_linux_environment__part_1___userspace_memory_protection/
>
> seems to say that fedora is ranking poorly in deployment of various
> userspace memory protection mechanisms.  Is this information accurate?
Well, the article don't mention the selinux protection
test(checksec.sh in fact check only grsecurity iirc), Exec Shield and
non use also the pax test as a useful bench.

In any case I seem to note two things:

1 - there are many programs without FORTIFY_SOURCE or stack protector
but this is should be the default so exist RPM that not use
RPM_OPT_FLAGS

2 - are actually a few years I noticed that RELRO in Fedora is less
important than in the past. Dunno why

Just my %1 cent.

Regards