How to handle a dead package in Fedora with a need in RHEL

Iain Arnell iarnell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 09:15:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:11:13 -0400
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 04:41:01PM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>> > But the perl-Net-DNS-SEC package requires Digest::SHA which doesn't
>> > exist on RHEL.  How do I convert a dead package on the fedora side
>> > to a EL only set of branches?  I'd assume it'll be the original bug
>> > request and re-opening a new branch? my biggest fear is that
>> > something will shoot it dead again though.
>>
>> If you're going to maintain it in EPEL, could you maintain it in
>> Fedora as well?
>
> The package went away in Fedora because it became part of perl core in
> perl 5.10.0; this will also be the case in EL-6.

Indeed, perl-Digest-SHA is available in the current RHEL6 beta[1] (and
is even there for all architectures). The source rpm is perl
itself[2].

> However, in Fedora, some of the so-called dual-lived perl modules
> (which are distributed both as part of perl itself and also
> independently via CPAN) are being resurrected as such, so bringing it
> back into Fedora is probably worthwhile anyway.

But in that case it MUST NOT be resurrected in EPEL; we shouldn't be
replacing RHEL packages with EPEL ones.

[1] ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/5.90Server/x86_64/os/Packages/perl-Digest-SHA-5.47-113.el6.x86_64.rpm
[2] ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/5.90Server/source/SRPMS/perl-5.10.1-113.el6.src.rpm
--
Iain.