Broadcom wifi drivers in F-14?

Athmane Madjoudj athmanem at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 21:09:25 UTC 2010

>> I read that HP was doing this but haven't verified.
>
> Ones who pre-load Linux could presumably calculate that shipping a
> better supported chip may cost them slightly more initially but save
> them maintenance headaches and hence eventually work out cheaper, so
> that would be Dell and HP. I think some of their pre-loaded systems do
> come with Intel chipsets rather than Broadcom, which are indeed slightly
> more expensive to procure. I haven't directly heard the rumours Rahul
> had, though.

Some HP laptops pre-loaded with FreeDOS, and comes with a Broadcom chip
(BCM4312 rev 01), and the website/manual said: it's certified for SuSE
Enterprise Linux and RedFlag Linux (Asian distro based on RHEL) however
the wifi is supported by propriety driver from Broadcom (broadcom-wl).

So when HP (and others) say that a laptop (or other hardware) is
certified for Linux this include hardware with propriety drivers.

Another exemple is EmperorLinux they sells some Linux-certified laptops
with nVidia hardware.

Regards.

--
Athmane Madjoudj