Meeting summary/minutes from today's FESCo meeting (2010-09-14)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 14 23:05:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14.09.10 16:01, Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) wrote:

> * #461 F14 blessing for systemd  (nirik, 20:12:29)
>   * LINK: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_initialization_basic
>     and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_initialization_tools
>     (nirik, 20:38:06)
>   * ACTION: : will defer systemd to f15 release to give more time to fix
>     small issues and docs and general polish.  (nirik, 21:12:43)
>   * ACTION: notting will look at what's required to flip the default in
>     f14  (notting, 21:13:44)

Nice move.

So, we closed all blocker bugs, we worked through the vast majority of
other bugs. I dealt with almost all issues raised in Bill's list, only
few small issues left. While there are some bugs open, we did our
homework. I was kept in the impression during the last week that these
are the criteria to get systemd into F14. But what happens? Out of
nowhere completely new criteria are created, and used to bring this
project down.

Why do we have the blocker bugs scheme if it apparently is irrelevant
for final decisions?

This is a really unfriendly move: I cannot win a game where the moment the
game nears it ends completely new rules are created. Quite frankly, this
is a recipe to piss people off, not to make people love developing for
Fedora. Yes, I am very disappointed, Fedora.

It's also nice to not even bother to ping me for the FESCO
discussion. This all reads like a page from the book "How to piss people
off and scare them away in 7 days". You make up new rules, and then
don't bother to invite the folks mostky affected when you apply them.

Oh, and next time, if you guys plan a move like that, then please do it
a couple of weeks earlier, so that I can find funnier things to do then
make you folks happy, since that's apparently not possible.

Everybody has a different idea of what Fedora should be, but mine is
definitely not one where people with negative energy make the rules and
then win by them.

There's something seriously wrong with the Fedora development
process, folks. And with you, FESCO. You excelled in erratic behaviour,
not in steering engineering.

Lennart

(Well, and I guess this will create a flamefest, but I won't reply
to the thread.)