Meeting summary/minutes from today's FESCo meeting (2010-09-14)

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:59:39 UTC 2010

2010/9/15 Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>:
>  On 09/15/2010 05:50 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> 2010/9/15 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
>>> Should gnome-shell (..) becoming the
>>> default
>> I hope that there will be the option to disable this default and
>> return to classical gnome desktop
>
> Yes. GNOME Panel will be available as a fallback for the foreseeable
> future even if GNOME Shell is included.

It's good to know.

> That has been the plan from the
> start based on the fact that not all drivers/hardware support the
> features GNOME Shell needs.

It is still necessary to take into account users who think that
Gnome-Shell is something like KDE4 :)

> GNOME Shell is also different from systemd
> in the sense that it affects every single user of Fedora and deserves a
> closer scrutiny.

Ouh, but Gnome shell would affect 50% of Fedora users.

> FWIW, I think GNOME Shell deserves extensive testing
> before made as default as well. FESCo's handling of systemd feature as a
> process has gaps that needs to be fixed as well. Nevertheless, I would
> like to thank Lennart for his extensive work on getting systemd where it
> is now in such a short period and Matthew Miller for playing the role of
> a very constructive critic and following up on bugs methodologically.

I agree that SystemD should be in reasonable stable state for making
it default init. Also very constructive criticism has helped this
project.

But I feel that:
- may be too early to cut it as default init from the release - I see
no problem if would have been given another month to Lennart for
fixing latest "critical" documentation issues
- problems that you point out in the email to test@ IMHO do not have
any major significance

> Rahul

Regards,