-static packages

Robert Spanton rspanton at zepler.net
Wed Sep 15 16:06:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently had to link a fair amount of my work statically so that
it'll run on a cluster of RHEL machines.  Unfortunately, I am just a
user of these machines, and so I don't have the power to get them to run
Fedora or even to get the admins to install RHEL packages in a timely
manner.  Building statically also helps me to eliminate as many of the
inevitable fractional differences between cluster nodes as possible, to
achieve reproducible results from simulation runs.

However, only a few packages in Fedora provide -static variants.  This
has meant that I've had to locally build these, which is obviously not
desirable from a maintenance perspective.

So, would be acceptable to register requests for -static package
variants as tickets on bugzilla?  Or is there a better way to try to
encourage people to generate these packages?

Cheers,

Rob