Linux and application installing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:52:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> It just so happens that app-install does just that.

The question isnt should app-install exist. The question is does it
interact with our package management system as a source of metadata
information in the right way that makes sense for our release process.
 The point of contention is building a toolset which requires metadata
about applications as a package (or set of packages) on a Fedora
system.  The issue is not the intent of app-install, or how its meant
to present information to a user.  The issue is the technical
specifics of how it interacts with data resources in order to get the
application metadata it needs.

I've read over the bugzilla thread. I have the same concerns as
expressed by Seth and James. But Rolling up application metadata as an
rpm to be dropped on the system doesn't seem like a good fit for
Fedora.  Whereas repomd is designed to deal with metadata in an
extensible way. To not use repomd as the metadata information source
seems ill-advised.

And more to the point because app-install requires our release team to
generate the metadata as part of a Fedora release/update compose
process... opinion from those quarters about how best to provide the
consumable metadata source must be heeded.  This isn't a simple case
of content rpm like game content or fonts.

-jef