Linux and application installing

FlorianFesti ffesti at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 07:01:32 UTC 2010

  On 09/16/2010 09:05 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> (I don't have a strong opinion on whether the data format is RPM or
> repodata myself; maybe just a slight preference for the latter; the
> most important thing in my mind is to come to rough consensus and
> working code, and actually ship something)
It is probably easier to add that information directly to the packages.
Rpmbuild could inspect *.desktop file and produce Provides: from it or
add a new tag. That way there'd be a distribution independent format and
way to retrieve this data and the Fedora infrastructure doesn't have to
deal with the generation on its own.

Can someone please elaborate a bit what pieces of information are really
needed? The .desktop files as a whole?

Florian