PostgreSQL 9 for F14?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 23:31:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:59:51PM +0000, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
> > far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.
>
> A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
> consensus is really against introducing major updates in stable releases.
> It's not really "anything goes" as your statement seems to imply.
>
> > Expecting
> > people to adopt their own personal repositories for versions of software
> > that Fedora maintainers don't want to ship "just because" should be seen
> > as a bug against Fedora itself. /end-thread-tangent
>
> Well, we're not, thankfully, in the same situation as some other distro
> where each third-party repository overlap quite a lot because they
> rebuild, possibly unnecessarily, an entire stack of software. The
> personal repositories I've seen tend to be tightly focused -- Richard
> Jones' mingw porting work, spot's repo for bleeding edge packages that
> rightly are not ready for Fedora proper, etc.

But we're going in that direction...  For instance, spot's firefox4 repo
has to ship with its own rebuild of nss which, because of other efforts
within Fedora, a lot of packages rely on.

As the concept of using third party repositories (both as packagers and as
users) grows, this interdependence will grow.

-Toshio