Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:08:35 UTC 2010

2010/9/20 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com>:
> Setting up "official" backport repo will avoid repos fragmentation.

Another repository/branch inside Fedora infrastructure does not
automatically avoid the any of the potential problems that you would
want to lump into "repo fragmentation." You'd have to take great care
in crafting packing policy to prevent any repository interaction
problems concerning dependency chains, conflicts,obsoletes, parallel
installation, upgrade paths, etc.

> Keeping all cool updates in one place appears to be a reasonable idea.
Define cool.  Does this mean that uncool updates would be excluded as
a matter of policy?
I'm not sure we all live in a world where a PostgreSQL 9 backport is _cool_.

-jef