Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Tue Sep 21 14:59:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/21/2010 07:20 AM, Brandon Lozza wrote:
>> One thing I wanted to point out. Windows users get to install the
>> latest Firefox, KDE, and other apps without having to wait for a new
>> Windows release. If users had to wait for Windows 8 to get the latest
>> Firefox, things would be messy. I don't understand what the fear is of
>> doing this on GNU/Linux.

However, if for example Microsoft had a similar system and did package
software for it. Their users would be up in arms for the latest
firefox too and Microsoft wouldn't keep them on an old firefox
version. Where is the logic in NOT having the latest software as long
as it doesn't break file format compatibility? On windows the user can
also install software without having to follow a complex procedure.
They can try to grab the firefox source code, manually compile it in a
few hours and install it. They can also grab a precompiled binary that
may or may not be optimized for their distribution. On Windows its
just double click, and on Linux with package management its only a few
clicks away too.

Look at openSUSE, GCC 4.5, came out before F13, no banning of LTO. If
you want something better than stable for KDE you can one click
install the factory KDE repo. You can one click install the trunk repo
too. They even have two Chromium branches available for single click
install (version 6 and 7). Perhaps a single click or easy method of
installing a yum repo could be invented that is similar to the one in
openSUSE. That would be a good start.

I would personally rather use Fedora and not openSUSE too. Before I
receive the cop out one liner 'just use suse then'.