Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Liang Suilong liangsuilong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:07:30 UTC 2010

If someone has enough interest in backporting something from a newer
release, we can set up a personal repo on the  repos.fedorapeople.org. Just
like firefox4 and yum-rawhide repo.

Maybe we wait for Copr. Seth Vidal is working on it. We can easily set up
and manage a backport or testing repo on Copr.

But I have another question. As we know, Fedora is a fast-upgrade Linux
distribution. Many new features will be added in every release. If we
backport the most desirable features, how should we attract users to upgrade
to the latest one? Do we hope that Fedora becomes a rolling upgrade
distribution?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:59:06 -0400,
>   Brandon Lozza <brandon at pwnage.ca> wrote:
> > However, if for example Microsoft had a similar system and did package
> > software for it. Their users would be up in arms for the latest
> > firefox too and Microsoft wouldn't keep them on an old firefox
> > version. Where is the logic in NOT having the latest software as long
> > as it doesn't break file format compatibility? On windows the user can
>
> Unexpectedly changing the UI is also bad.
>
> > Look at openSUSE, GCC 4.5, came out before F13, no banning of LTO. If
> > you want something better than stable for KDE you can one click
> > install the factory KDE repo. You can one click install the trunk repo
> > too. They even have two Chromium branches available for single click
> > install (version 6 and 7). Perhaps a single click or easy method of
> > installing a yum repo could be invented that is similar to the one in
> > openSUSE. That would be a good start.
>
> Alternate repos are possible, but take work. Fedora doesn't have spare
> capacity to be doing this sort of thing right now. If you want to make it
> happen, you can by leading and working on a project to do that. As long
> as you are willing to work and can get a at least a few like minded
> volunteers also willing to work you should have at least some success.
>
> People here aren't against having a way to install alternate versions of
> packagers per se, but are noting that there is a significant amount of
> work needed. And many of us think there are better ways to be spending
> our limited time helping Fedora. But if it is a high priority for other
> people willing to do the work, it's something that could be done.
> --

Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info
Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong