Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:06:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:58:53PM -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok, so maybe it's time to setup Fedora "backports" repo for these that
>> > wants new and shiny Firefox 4, PostgreSQL 9 or whatever with big
>> > number.
>>

>> What exactly is the fear here with these updates? Are there many
>> desktop users who do NOT want the latest released Firefox? Are there
>> many people using Fedora as their OS for their database server?
>
> Maybe we should turn this around and ask why more people don't
> use Rawhide.

Well "use rawhide" for anything else than testing and/or developing
the new release just do not fly.

Some of the reasons I can think of:

1) To high rate of changes / breakage
2) No signed packages
3) Slower kernel
4) To much of "manual fixing" required
5) To many broken deps, which might prevent applying updates and security fixes
6) Some others that I can't think of right now might be a consequence
of the above or something else

So please stop proposing rawhide for productive systems (or even
database servers *shrug*).