Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Wed Sep 22 12:20:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> What exactly is the fear here with these updates? Are there many
>>> desktop users who do NOT want the latest released Firefox? Are there
>>> many people using Fedora as their OS for their database server?
>>
>> Maybe we should turn this around and ask why more people don't
>> use Rawhide.
>
> Well "use rawhide" for anything else than testing and/or developing
> the new release just do not fly.
>
> Some of the reasons I can think of:
>
> 1) To high rate of changes / breakage
> 2) No signed packages
> 3) Slower kernel
> 4) To much of "manual fixing" required
> 5) To many broken deps, which might prevent applying updates and security fixes
> 6) Some others that I can't think of right now might be a consequence
> of the above or something else
>
> So please stop proposing rawhide for productive systems (or even
> database servers *shrug*).
> --

That's why I propose an easy way to install additional repos. I can't
see a non tech savvy user installing the chromium browser on fedora,
to be brutally honest. It's annoying having to hold their hand and
walk them through it. I don't see why the user can't double click the
repo file and have some application do the work for them. Or even have
a place where they can input a URL for the repo and some program adds
it to the database. Expecting the user to copy the .repo file into the
yum repos directory is extremely non intuitive and to be perfectly
honest I'm tech savvy and I can't be bothered to remember the path
name for that directory.

If people want Fedbuntu, at least copy this feature. Every other
distro has an easy way for the user to add third party repositories
using a tool. Perhaps an add button inside kpackagekit? It does have
the ability to disable and enable repos.