Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 22 14:22:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:24:38 +0100,
  "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> I use Rawhide on my laptop and one of my servers, so I'll tell you the
> answer to this: because critical components such as the kernel are
> often broken.  IME this is because there is no testing of these
> components before they get pushed out, and also the kernel developers
> ignore bug reports.

The kernel isn't that big of a deal unless there is a bug tied to your
specific hardware. You can make the default the old kernel on updates
and upgrade the kernel at a convenient time. If one breaks things for
everyone, that will get fixed pretty quick. If there is a bug tied to specific
hardware, affecting a small number people, it can take a long time to fixed
in some cases.

I find it's more just random stuff breaks and I need to work around something
at a bad time. This is more likely to happen when some big change first
lands. Or when the thunderbird guys update thunderbird and sunbird, but don't
care if sunbird even works.

If we were better about getting big changes in before the branch, running
branched versions would probably be reasonable for people that want something
close to a rolling update.