REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 22 18:42:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:35:38 -0600,
  Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> So, that would be, BAD:
>
> - Changing User interface (moving menu items or buttons around)
> - Changing names of commands for command line.
> - Changing behavior of command line options (ie, --foo does something
>   totally different).
> - Server packages that require admin intervention to keep working
>   (database schema changes, config files change options that need to be
>   modified to the new way), etc.
>
> Of course there may be cases where we have to do these things, but they
> should be exceptions, not something people expect.

That seems to cover the bad pretty well. So if an upstream release included
something from above and bug fixes, if practical you should backport the
bug fixes. If that isn't practical, you need to decide whether the behavior
change or the bug is worse.

Is it safe to say bug fixes combined with enhancements not covered above
would generally be OK?