Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Sep 22 19:45:03 UTC 2010

Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> One could always use a stable kernel in conjunction with Rawhide.
> Speaking of debugging info, are they still turned on for branched
> releases like F-14?

Yes. Not until the Final RC builds is debugging switched off. (IIRC)

Rawhide kernels or using a stable kernel w/ Rawhide are not valid
options. Rawhide is rawhide - development of Fedora, not for production
use. Period. You can't jazz it up no matter how hard you try (Looking at
you Jesse, Adam, and Bruno).

P.S. Can't use proprietary kernel modules (which some people have to
use) with debugging kernels. The world isn't perfect and neither is Fedora.

I can see a big increase in boot time with my desktop setup when using a
debugging kernel among other slow-downs. From 8 seconds (non-debug) at
least double that. I use modern CPUs (quad core a minimum) with SSDs and
fast GPUs. Speed is very important to me.