Fedora "backports" repo?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed Sep 22 20:38:21 UTC 2010

Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> writes:

> What exactly is the fear here with these updates? Are there many
> desktop users who do NOT want the latest released Firefox? Are there
> many people using Fedora as their OS for their database server?

I don't know about "many", but there is at least one organisation
which runs production databases on Postgres on Fedora. People keep
saying that "Fedora isn't for servers", but I just don't see why not.
Getting stuck with years-old software in RHEL is no fun at all...
Neither is self-compiling or third-party repositories.

Anyway, it is unfortunate that the timing is such that Postgres 9 can't
make it in time for Fedora 14. Please don't put Postgres 9 into Fedora
14 if it doesn't make it from the start. Major upgrades to Postgres are
not something you want to happen during normal maintenance.

/Benny