Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Sep 23 16:23:25 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> The kmod rpms for rawhide are already provided by rpmfusion. I don't know
> how often they do them nor how often new kernel releases just plain
> break the proprietary drivers. But it sure likes look at least some of
> the time you should be able to use them.

Bruno, you can't use certain proprietary modules with debugging kernels.
GPL symbols prevent you. In particular, the LOCKDEP stuff.

Frank mentioned[1] a viable option for Rawhide, but with Rawhide broken
more often then not, it still isn't a viable option to use every day. I
can't recommend it to Joe Schmoe if he wants Firefox 4.0 and he runs
into broken deps or broken apps and goes off and uses Ubuntu or SuSE
because of it.

[1]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2010-September/002688.html