F-14 Branched report: 20100923 changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 24 19:04:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 13:11 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

> In principle, the system for extracting %changelog from git might work,
> with two provisos:
>
> - people understand that git changelogs have slightly different purpose
> than RPM changelogs: git records 'what' changed, while RPM should also
> tell 'why' it was changed. In other words, we'd be relying on developers
> making high-level as well as low-level comments in the 'log.
>
> - the volume of changelog output should not overwhelm useful information
> contained in the log.

It's not really in principle; other distros have been doing this for
years (it's been this way in Mandriva ever since I became a contributor
there). The RPM changelog is generated from SCM commit messages. If you
want an SCM commit message not to show up in the RPM changelog - say
it's just you fixing a stupid mistake in the spec - preface it with
SILENT: . This system always seemed to work fine.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey