REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Sat Sep 25 14:54:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 09:48:34AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> Say you ship with 50 bugs in a package.  As you update it through the
>> lifetime of a release, that number should decrease more or less
>> monotonically.  The bugs that take longest to fix are presumably the
>> hardest ones to fix, and thus the ones that either require significant
>> rewrites (and become out of scope for an update release), or won't get
>> fixed at all.  So it's really just describing what _happens_ naturally
>> if you don't rebase all the time.
>
> The bug number will probably decrease, but this does not meant that the
> lifetime of a release is long enough to fix them all or even to find
> them all. E.g. if 5 bugs are fixed every month, you will still have the
> same rate of updates for 10 months, unless you just delay updates even
> if the bugs could already be fixed. And also usually not all bugs are
> known when at the beginning of the release.
>
> Regards
> Till
>
> --

It seems like the policy would kill the use of an upgraded KDE (4.5 to
4.6) because KDE almost always makes UI changes.

For advocacy reasons I could no longer  brag about how Fedora always
has the latest upstream KDE. I could no longer tell people Fedora was
the best KDE distro either. I'm not trolling, these are valid things I
bring up when I try to talk people into trying Fedora who might have
been using Mandriva, Kubuntu or openSUSE.

Specifically i'm looking at the one example:

"Abiword releases a new version that adds compatibility with WordStar
4.0 documents. It also completely updates the user interface to use
pie menus. This would be a feature enhancement with a major user
experience change, and would not be allowed."

rewrite it for a standard kde update

KDE releases a new version (4.6) that adds OpenGL compositing. It also
completely updates the user interface to change the way the
notification area works. This would be a feature enhancement with a
major user experience change, and would not be allowed.