REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Sun Sep 26 02:26:46 UTC 2010

I can't tell people Fedora is the best if it's not carrying the latest
upstream KDE, its just not possible. I'm constantly recruiting new
users. I'm in regular contact with the team of people who run
Techrights.

If a new release of KDE comes out, this is what happens currently

1) Kubuntu adds a backports PPA. Stable users do not get the latest KDE.
2) openSUSE will have it in their KDE Factory Repo, and it will turn
into a release Repo later (not stable). Stable users do not get the
latest KDE.
3) Mandriva will have official packages on kde.org but they aren't
pushed as updates. Stable users do not get the latest KDE.
4) Fedora will have it entirely unofficially as a third party repo for
a few weeks, it will also be in the official repo in updates-testing
and then in updates. Stable users DO get the latest KDE.

This makes Fedora BETTER than the rest. If we delegate the latest KDE
to backports like everyone else, how does that make Fedora better? And
we do want to be better than everyone else if we want to compete with
Apple and Microsoft.