REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 26 12:57:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:26:46 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>I can't tell people Fedora is the best if it's not carrying the latest
>>upstream KDE, its just not possible. I'm constantly recruiting new
>>users. I'm in regular contact with the team of people who run
>>Techrights.
>>
>>If a new release of KDE comes out, this is what happens currently
>>
>>1) Kubuntu adds a backports PPA. Stable users do not get the latest KDE.
>>2) openSUSE will have it in their KDE Factory Repo, and it will turn
>>into a release Repo later (not stable). Stable users do not get the
>>latest KDE.
>>3) Mandriva will have official packages on kde.org but they aren't
>>pushed as updates. Stable users do not get the latest KDE.
>>4) Fedora will have it entirely unofficially as a third party repo for
>>a few weeks, it will also be in the official repo in updates-testing
>>and then in updates. Stable users DO get the latest KDE.
>>
>>This makes Fedora BETTER than the rest.
>
> For your particular definition of better, which does not necessarily
> agree with anyone elses defintion of better.

Since it agrees at least with my definition of better, you might keep
rhetoric stuff like that.

>> If we delegate the latest KDE
>>to backports like everyone else, how does that make Fedora better? And
>>we do want to be better than everyone else if we want to compete with
>>Apple and Microsoft.
>
> How does shipping out possiblity disruptive changes mid-release help
> us compete with anyone else?  Or make us better than anyone else?

You obviously want to re-read what he wrote, except you really can't
see the part with the competition and better (not saying that i think
we compete with Apple or Microsoft). BTW, speaking of "possibility
disruptive changes", you don't want to send out any update then, since
it *can* be "possibility disruptive changes". Plus, you will find
enough non-KDE updates disruptive in the past (past as in before right
now).

Maybe it fits here best as well, please keep rhetoric stuff like that,
because he has some points.

--
Best regards
Thomas