REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Sun Sep 26 13:46:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:41:38 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

>>> Well, I personally do not want to say:
>>>
>>> "Hey, anytime you like down the road, you get an exception to push a
>>> new major version. Have fun".
>>
>>Well, reading FESCo meeting, it was that we're allowed to do one major
>>update to Fn due to the different release-cycles of Fedora and KDE.
>>Bad enough that we need "exceptions" to do our expected work and be
>>able to be the working official KDE part of Fedora.
>
> Perhaps then you should approach KDE and ask them why they are so
> distribution unfriendly with their release schedule.
>
> As far as I can tell (based on the 4.5 release date, scheduled 4.6
> release date, and the general objections raised by the Fedora KDE
> people) KDE is following a 6 month schedule, but timed such as it
> falls in the middle of the releases of the major biannual
> distributions, and doesn't fit the 8-month schedule of openSUSE at
> all.
>
> If KDE really wants to get their latest and greatest into the hands of
> their users as soon as possible then they should be more distribution
> friendly.
> --

Currently openSUSE is regarded as the KDE distro of choice if you want
the latest and i've been trying to change that because Fedora usually
has the latest upstream release. The difference between the two is
that openSUSE maintains two "stable" repositories and one has to be
manually installed, the other is default. With openSUSE 11.3 KDE 4.5
sat in a factory repo and then got pushed to release just last week
afaik. However users manually need to install the 4.5 repo, and they
manually have to switch from factory to the 4.5 release repo. Once 4.5
is pushed to F13, Fedora will once again be the most superior KDE
distro. Users don't have to manually upgrade. That's a huge +1

What I mean by better? Well every 6-8 months I test out different
distributions and see if its worth switching to another one. Over the
past year i've tried Arch, openSUSE, Mandriva, Kubuntu, Slackware and
PC-BSD 8.1, Gentoo, Calculate, Sidux, and more. The thing I noticed
most about these is a lot of them released with old versions of KDE. A
lot of them never bothered to update their users to the latest.
openSUSE is the best alternative to Fedora, for the reasons listed
above and its creeping past us. They were one of the first distros to
carry GCC 4.5 besides Arch. They are doing a lot of things I
considered made Fedora better than the rest. Not shipping stale
software, the use of delta rpms, shipping the latest kernel, gcc,
xorg, kde. If we can't at least keep up we can't be the BEST KDE
distro. We can't even share the title.