x86_64 as Fedora's primary platform

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 08:37:06 UTC 2010

On 09/27/2010 10:03 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> If anything I would expect the 32bit Desktop Live torrent download
> activity to be lower because of the promotion of the direct download
> link of that particular iso.  The splits in 32bit and 64bit download
> activity in the torrent server is very suggestive of a continued
> preference for 32bit installs regardless of what we promote.

Sure, but the question is how much of that is simply due to a lack of
awareness.  To a first order approximation, if you have 64-bit
hardware, then a 64-bit spin is better.  We know that, but how many of
our users do?  The strong suggestion we make is that 32-bit is the
default, and in the absence of any other information I'll always go
for the default.  As will most people...

Andrew.