x86_64 as Fedora's primary platform

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 13:59:36 UTC 2010

On 09/28/2010 01:58 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> May I chip in another thought here?  Although in principle it is
>>> better if 64 bit versions are used on capable hardware there still
>>> remains a series of issues with some code - eg firefox and thunderbird
>>> are not always built for 64 bit
>>
>> Huh?  Sure they are.
>
> Some people use nightlies for example -
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-1.9.2/
> Here there are no 64 bit versions that I am aware of?
>
> I do this when the stock version is somewhat behind even the stable
> release from mozilla.

Sure, but that's such a weird case that it's hardly relevant to the
person who just wants a default Fedora.  People who really need
bleeding-edge Thunderbird presumably know who they are.

> There must be quite a few other examples where people will want to run
> specific codes that are not built for 64 bit?

Of course, but that's hardly relevant here.

This message was sent to you from thunderbird-3.1.5pre, downloaded from
from that URL, running on my 64-bit Fedora system.

Andrew.