x86_64 as Fedora's primary platform

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Sep 28 16:05:58 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Why do you think it's a good idea to except netbooks? And why do you
> assume running Fedora on a three year old machine isn't a fairly common
> case?
>
> (I have both 3+ year old 32-bit only machines and netbooks running Linux
> right here at home).

The compromise is that the web team should be sniffing the User Agent of
the browser for the machine arch and present a download option to match.

Scenario: You are running a 32-bit browser on a 64-bit machine and
browse Fedoraproject.org. Fedoraproject.org should present a 64-bit
installer. Yes, it can be done. The user agent, at least for Firefox,
contains the machine arch even if you use the 32-bit browser.

There is no valid, non-subjective reason to continue running a 32-bit
kernel on a 64-bit system. This entire thread is a nice joke to read.