x86_64 as Fedora's primary platform

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 10:48:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Why do you think it's a good idea to except netbooks?
>
> The netbook issue can be solved by a simple "Download Netbook Version" link
> (along with a clear warning on the default download that it's only for
> desktop/laptop computers and that netbook users must use the netbook
> version). Users who have a netbook know they have a netbook (so the "but the
> user doesn't know his machine is not 64-bit capable" argument is irrelevant
> there). And the netbook version can also use an environment better suited
> for netbooks (e.g. Plasma Netbook, MeeGo or maybe LXDE).
>
>> And why do you assume running Fedora on a three year old machine isn't a
>> fairly common case?
>
> I'm saying 3+ because I don't know the exact number to write there, but I
> think it's more than 3.

I got my first Intel based x64 servers in late 2004. AMD was 64 bit a
lot longer than that. I'm not sure when x64 on Intel chips became
default on desktop/laptops but it was staggered with Centrino on
laptops for example happening a lot before the cheaper Celeron models.
The 64 bit Centrino chips arrived in mid 2006 for memory. AMD has been
64 bit for a lot longer though.

>> (I have both 3+ year old 32-bit only machines and netbooks running Linux
>> right here at home).
>
> Look, I'm typing this on a 32-bit-only machine. But I KNOW the machine is
> old and doesn't support Intel 64 (formerly called EM64T and even before
> IA-32e). What are the chances that a user who's new enough to not know what
> 64-bit means has such an old computer? I won't have any trouble finding the
> 32-bit downloads for my 32-bit PC even if x86_64 is the default.
>
> (And FWIW, I also have a 64-bit notebook (Core 2 Duo), of course running the
> x86_64 version. I don't see why I'd run a legacy 32-bit version on it.)

Peter