libedit update needs karma

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:13:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:34 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The latest libedit update is CRITPATH, so it needs some karma.  The
> > direct consumers of libedit, if my repoquery-fu is up to the task, are
> > the following, with their maintainers listed first, followed by
> > comaintainers:
> >
> > Io-language: limb
> > asterisk: jcollie, fabbione, itamarjp
> > ceph: josef, boodle, jdieter, steve, stingray, tremble, zaniyah
> > chrony: mlichvar
> > firebird (-class-common, -superserver): makowski
> > ghc-editline: s4504kr
> > kaya: s4504kr
> > libedit: kdudka, jcollie, jjames
> > libreadline-java: akurtakov
> > link-grammar: uwog
> > ntp: mlichvar, pertusus
> > openssh: jfch2222, dwalsh, ellert, lkundrak, mgrepl, mitr, sgrubb, tmraz
> > php (-cli): jorton, rdieter, remi, timj
> > php-pecl-xdebug: remi, cdamian, hubbitus
> > pure: salimma
> > uim: tagoh, i18n-team
> >
> > I'm jjames, and kdudka has already provided karma.  Will some of the
> > rest of you please test the update and leave your feedback on the
> > update page?
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libedit-3.0-3.20110227cvs.fc15
> >
> > Thank you very much,
>
> Yeah, handling cases like this where a somewhat 'obscure' library hits
> critpath through deps is something I've been thinking about.
> package-specific test cases would help, if someone would write them. :)
> I think this gets to be critpath via the openssh and possibly ntp
> requirements; it may help to know exactly what those apps _do_ with
> libedit. But from a critpath perspective, this update is okay as long as
> dependent critpath apps still work.
>
> It would be nice if Bodhi could say 'this update is critical path
> because of the following dependency chain:', but I don't know how
> practical that is...

And, as an aside, that update still only has karma of 2.  How do I
tell if either of the respondents is a proventester?  Is that
indicated in the feedback somehow?  This is my first experience with a
critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
to work.  If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
to offer?

Regards,
--
Jerry "And a gummy worm in every pot" James
http://www.jamezone.org/