Different spec for el5

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Apr 2 14:34:50 UTC 2011

On 04/02/2011 05:02 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi fedora community,
>
> I maintain ftop package. I've made fedora and el6 packages. Taking
> account different requirements for epel5 packages, now I'd want to
> make an el el5 package. It's not clear what i should do.
>
> 1. If I create an new spec with conditionals touch fedora packages and
> el6 but does make sense increase EVR only for it?

Nope (in case you mean bumping the EVR for EL6 and Fedora packages).

> 2. If I create a modified spec for el5, should I increase the EVR? Can
> a package have a different EVR of el6 and fedora ones? Or can an el5
> package has the same EVR that el6 and fedora ones but different
> content?

Take the EL6 spec, make necessary changes to it for EL5, and bump EVR of
the EL5 package by adding a digit *after* the disttag, that way it won't
cause problems when upgrading from EL5 to EL6.  Then at the next EL6
package release, fold in the changes made to the EL5 specfile if you
like and from there on you can use the same specfile for EL5 and EL6.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches