Proven testers for Lua update

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 5 12:08:29 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 01:00 PM, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> On 31.03.2011 11:01, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
>> On 03/30/2011 11:48 AM, Tim Niemueller wrote:
>>> Hi fellow Fedorans.
>>>
>>> I'd like to push a minor update of Lua, which incorporates a small
>>> bugfix patch, and some cosmetic fixes to the builds script. First
>>> testing by a proven tester has been done successfully, but I need more
>>> testing to be able to push it, please have a look, try it and comment:
>>> )
>> >From my reading of the update policy, actually only a normal karma is
>> needed (+1 from proventester, +2 total). But I've tested the package
>> now, all seems in order.
>>
>> Incidentally, any interest in getting Lua's Rocks deployment system
>> integrated into Fedora? Been meaning to get this done for a while,
>> really needs to get it off the ground. Ideally it should be like Python
>> eggs and Ruby gems -- we need our Lua modules to ship .rocks files so
>> that these modules don't get a duplicate installation in the user's home
>> directory.
>>
>> I'll whip up a Feature page (probably we'll announce it for F-16) if
>> there's an interest.
>
> I never liked these specific deployment systems and rather just built
> RPMs in the first place, but if someone is willing to do and *maintain*
> it: go for it!

I agree that it's not ideal; however, given that we have a small set of
Lua packages, it probably makes sense to focus on integrating well with
the wide range of Lua "rocks" out there.

I'll of course maintain it -- the nice thing is that we can gradually
convert our Lua packages (I don't think there's a way to automate
creation of rock descriptors, the way there is for Python eggswith
distutils).

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim