Best Practice to revert a version on F-15

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:09:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 22:47:19 +0200, Jochen wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I'm planing to revert the version of blender in the F-15 repository
> from 2.56 to 2.49.
>
> The reseaon is, that there are several packages depending on blender
> which are not
> compatible to blender-2.56 or beyond.
>
> I plan to create a feature to F-16 to coordinate the migration of the
> packages,
> which are depending on blender to the blender-2.56 branch.
>
> So I want to ask, what I have to consinder when I revert to 2.49 on
> the F-15 branch.

There are nearly the same things to do as with a version upgrade. Except
that you will need to bump the Epoch to downgrade from 2.56 to 2.49. Check
all dependencies carefully. They might need a rebuild or even a downgrade,
too.

Alternatively, albeit a little bit of a hack, it would be possible to package
two releases of blender in a single src.rpm and keep the 2.49 version in
a subpackage with a different name. This would need dependencies to be
adjusted, of course.