Gnome-Shell and F14

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Apr 7 17:41:41 UTC 2011

drago01 wrote:
> No because it would require updates to many core parts of the system.

It requires at the very least updates to:
* gobject-introspection (to a version not binary-compatible with the one in
F14, so ALL packages with introspection info would have to be rebuilt, too)
* glib2 (which is used by a lot of stuff including gtk2, and even qt to some
extent (event loop integration))
* gtk3
* probably some other GNOME-related libraries

To support some other features, even more system components need to be
upgraded, e.g. the network management applet needs NetworkManager 0.9 (which
is not backwards-compatible with 0.8, so pushing it to F14 doesn't look
practical to me).

> And it wouldn't give you the full gnome3 experience anyway.

Indeed, for a full GNOME 3 experience, you'd also have to upgrade other apps
to GTK+ 3 / GNOME 3 versions, at the very least. And see also the above note
about NetworkManager.

That said, if somebody wants to provide this in a third-party repository,
they can try, it'd just be painful to support, and if done completely, you'd
end up with something that's largely equivalent to Fedora 15. Building an
updated gnome-shell in SOME way (even where it means ripping off pieces)
might be more supportable, but would still need several packages updated.

I built GTK+ 3.0.0 (along with an updated GLib2 it needed) in a repository,
but those builds have gobject-introspection disabled (due to the
incompatibility issues), so they will not be suitable for gnome-shell. I
also didn't update it to GTK+ 3.0.x bugfix releases because I didn't get a
single request for an updated version. (Looks like everyone doing GTK+ 3
development or porting on Fedora is using F15 or even Rawhide.)

        Kevin Kofler