critpath approval process seems rather broken

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sat Apr 9 00:43:05 UTC 2011

> I will refrain from ranting, and just point out that something is
> pretty darn broken about this process.  Why are the nagmails going
> to someone with no power to fix the problem?  Shouldn't somebody
> with approval power be paying more than zero attention to older
> branches?

They *are* paying attention. Testers get the same nagmails you do.

In fact, there's plenty of approvers available, but you're not engaging
with them. They might not know how to test libtiff, or what needs
testing, so other stuff gets tested first.

The solution is simple: ASK FOR HELP. Pop into #fedora-qa or ask on the
test list. Give some details about what needs to be tested (and how to
test it) and it'll be sorted out very quickly.

Updates get approved much faster when the maintainer bothers to engage
with the testers. This should surprise no one. Fedora is made of people,
isn't it?

The only thing broken here is the expectation that testing doesn't
require your assistance, or isn't your problem.

-w