critpath approval process seems rather broken

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 01:19:26 UTC 2011

On 04/10/2011 01:34 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 12:45 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>> And here we are, about to go down the same road again.  I have an update
>> in updates-testing, it's getting no love, and the package that's in the
>> release is *known broken*.  It has not been updated for systemd to begin
>> with.  Nor for tmpfs /var/run.  And just like last time, I put out a
>> call for testers on this mailing list.
>
> It got one +1 the day you submitted it, but the tester isn't a
> proventester; if he had been, that would have been enough for it to go
> through.
>
>> You know, I think you guys have this entire critpath thing totally
>> backwards.  You should *never* be keeping maintainers away from their
>> testers, but that's exactly what this process does.  People running
>> alphas and betas and release candidates *are* testers by definition.
>> You shouldn't be sequestering critpath updates away from the broadest
>> possible testing audience they can have, you should be pushing them
>> proactively and getting the broadest testing possible.
>
> I'm not sure you understand the process. People running Branched
> releases - like 15 at present - get the packages in updates-testing.
> That repo is enabled *by default* when you install a pre-release. So as
> soon as you submit an update for a pre-release, you can expect that
> anyone running that pre-release and doing regular updates will get the
> package.

I just realized today for the first time that our nightlies are based on
stable, not testing.  I think that's something we need to address.  It's
probably still useful to have nightlies based on stable, but I think
it's rather vital to have images created with the updates in the queue.

So, yes, -testing is the default for f15 installs, but the problem is
you have to get 15 installed first, at which point you can't test the
live image/installer part of the critical path, since you are now in an
installed environment, not a live image/installer.