critpath approval process seems rather broken

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 15:33:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 13:43 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Dne 10.4.2011 23:07, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > (What I'd like to be able to do in this kind of case is have Bodhi
> > explain, hey, this package is critpath because $THIS_OTHER_PACKAGE
> > depends on it, and if $THIS_OTHER_PACKAGE is working okay, then this
> > package has fulfilled its critpath responsibilities, go ahead and +1
> > it).
>
> I think that this is really too simplistic system (especially given that
> our dependencies are broken, because we are missing Suggests/Recommends
> … Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam). Let me show you one
> more example.

There's nothing much we could do about that within the context of the
critpath process. As you note, this is really more about limitations of
package dependencies.

> I have posted some updates to mobile-broadband-provider-info. These are
> just data files for NetworkManager, they need frequent updates, and the
> biggest disaster which can happen in case of their brokenness (which is
> quite low, anyway, these are XML files validated during the build) is
> that somebody won't be able to connect to the Internet via mobile phone.

O rly? Are you *sure*? Sure it's not at all possible there could be a
bug somewhere in NM which causes it to crash because it misparses an odd
character in one of the files, for instance? "It's just a
configuration / data file, it can't possibly break anything!" is one of
those assertions that bitter experience tends to prove incorrect on
occasion :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey