critpath approval process seems rather broken

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Apr 11 19:13:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:41:25 +0900
TASAKA Mamoru <mtasaka at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Tomasz Torcz wrote, at 04/09/2011 07:57 PM +9:00:
> >>
> >> The fact is, this is a SECURITY UPDATE and as such it should go
> >> out even without testing. It's not acceptable to sit on security
> >> updates for weeks.
> >
> >    No, security updates are not _that_ special.  For example,
> > there's an avahi update in pipeline.  It has broken dependencies.
> > Pushing this would broke some systems. I'm talking about:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/avahi-0.6.27-6.fc14
> >

> So as a result we are just leaving this security issue unresolved
> more than one month? Okay, it is all very well that we try to explain
> why the new updates request is not yet pushed, however then people
> would ask, "so why can't Fedora try to fix such issue like broken
> dependency ASAP? Short of man power? Is Fedora just making light
> of security issues?"
>
> Who is responsible for this issue?

I would say (in order):

- The person who submitted the update.

- Any co-maintainers the package has that could fix it and push a new
  update.

- Any provenpackagers who are interested in the package and can go fix
  it and push a fixed update.

- FESCo or rel-eng if no one else steps up and someone notifies those
  bodies of the problem, so someone there can fix it.

kevin